Tangerine peel is a traditional medichine commonly called bitter orange peel, mandarin orange peel, Chen Pi, Chimpi, Citri Reticulatae Pericarpium. Chen-Pi is the sun-dried tangerine peel that is rich in vitamin B1, and vitamin C.
The tangerine is native to Asia and was introduced to Europe in the nineteenth century. Tangerine peel is the outer peel of the citrus fruit grown on an evergreen tree.
For thousands of years in China, it has been used widely in clinical practice to for nausea, vomiting, indigestion, regulate appetite, diarrhea, cough, phlegm and as a expectorant.
Chen-Pi is used most frequently as a qi-regulating drug in thousands of Chinese medicine prescriptions. CRP is listed in the Pharmacopoeia of the People’s Republic of China. Pharmacological researches in China have demonstrated that the herb enhances the secretion of gastric enzymes and also calms down the soft muscles in the gastrointestinal tract.
Approximately 140 chemical compounds have been isolated and identified from CRP. Chen pi contains volatile oils and flavonoids that are generally considered the main bioactive and characteristic ingredients. CRP is rich in vitamin B1 and vitamin C and possesses wide pharmacological effects such as having a beneficial effect on the cardiovascular, digestive, and respiratory systems, antitumor, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties; and a protective effect on the liver and nerve. (Source)
Benefits of Tangerine Peel
- According to the traditional Chinese medicine physicians, the herb moves the qi or chi (the circulating life force whose existence and properties are the basis of much Chinese philosophy and medicine.)
- Amazing Benefits on the digestive system:
- It can promote the secretion of digestive juices, excluding gas accumulation within the intestine, showing the effectiveness of aromatic and carminative lower stomach gas.
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Rich with vitamin C, vitamin B1 & K
- The high levels of vitamin C make the fruit and peel an excellent source of antioxidants for the body. Antioxidants help to reduce inflammation in various areas. Antioxidants also prevent the development of free radicals in the body. This prevents unneeded oxidation reactions in the body, which may not be good for overall health.